Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Blog choice: rant

I remember waking up earlier than I needed to on a school day, pouring myself a bowl of Nestle Quick cereal and turning on the tv to watch Little Lulu before I had to go. Singing along to the theme song "Little Lulu, Little Lulu, the freckles on your skin, always..." well you get the point. The Golden days they call them, the days when you were a kid and all you wanted to do was watch your favourite cartoon on tv. Now when I turn on the tv I barely see any cartoons and the shows that do air are hardly ever original. I miss the "classics", called the classics not due to the fact that they were made "back in the day" but because they're original, the days when the word "spin off" was never uttered. The shows then weren't afraid of comedy, they weren't afraid of being bold and making a joke that may offend some people if it meant laughter for so many more. Now everything is offensive to parents if it regards their children "I can't believe this show! how dare they teach my child to lie to a teacher" sorry TJ, looks like you and the rest of the Recess gang aren't tricking your way out of this one. Those lies taught us so much though, like how bad you feel after deceiving someone, the power of doing the right thing or how fun it is to pull the wool over somebodies eyes. Even the educational shows were fun to watch, I know you all know what I'm talking about, Ms. Frizzle and her magic school bus, such an unreal concept yet so unbelievably entertaining. I know the networks today wouldn't dare to air such a show as Johnny Bravo, one of my favourites, a middle aged Elvis fanatic that lived with his mother but still tried to pick up the ladies. Remember those skimpy clothes the women used to wear? And how Johnny always found a way to objectify the woman, or the fact that he got shot down more times than any man alive today. That made for a great cartoon, no thought as to whether anyone would get offended or that he wasn't a successful family man like they all seem to be today, all anyone knew was that he was funny and that was enough. So I say bring back the classics, no more spin offs of fashionable rockstar/teen girls going to college. Lets learn our lessons ourselves instead of them being made so obvious and having Hannah Montana say to her dad "you're right daddy I did a wrong thing because....". I'm tired of bad tv and I know that I'm not the only one who wants to relive their golden days.

No comments:

Post a Comment