Tuesday, February 15, 2011

21st century education

I think the most important skills needed for post high school life are skills that can help us communicate with other people because we cant go very far in life if all we know is what we read about in books. I think the skills that we're learning in highschool revolve more around the intelectual part of who we are instead of trying to define who we are as individuals. Given that we do alot of group activities and partner projects but sometimes people are paired with others that they dont normally associate themselves with. Which I dont think helps us be more social but makes us more afraid of communicating with others because people are more likely to be social on their own rather than when they're pushed into it. The education system works in the beginnning while we're developing because it expands our mind so that we can understand more in the future but as we get older and we come to the final years of highschool we should be learning things that we want to to help us build our future. In highschool we should be able to take the courses that we want instead of the required courses with the optional woodwork or cooking class. Middle school should be the years for required courses because than we atleast have a foundation of education and it could give us an idea of what we might want to do in the future. People waste alot of money on university classes that they later realise wasn't what they wanted to do. If we could make those mistakes in highschool it would be easier to change our minds and explore other fields of work. This year I took a lot of different courses to see what I'm most interested in but I'm still unsure of what I want to do. So after highschool I plan on staying home and working for a year and trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment